Gallery

Thursday, November 17, 2011

great guild meeting last night

Even though it was a crummy night to drive down there, I am glad I went. The lecture was on Pennsylvania German ( Dutch ) quilt traditions, interspersed with bits of superstition and folk belief of the region. The quilts were beautiful. They asked that we not post pictures online in any way so I can't share them visually with you, but I can tell you about the Red work.

They had two stunning examples. I was sitting close enough to one of them that I did sketch out some of the motifs so I can reinterpret. A corner motif and a border element that are sort of welsh quilting designs. The other was a collection of nearly 250 farm related motifs on 4 1/2 inch pieces of feed sack. There were initials and a date in the four larger squares in the center, and they were all embellished at the seams with a fine herringbone.

The other thing I came home with was the great urge to catalog my growing collection of antique quilts and tops. I have been meaning to get to this for a long while, and the inspiration to actually do it has been trumped a few times by other tasks that bring in more immediate cash flow. Perhaps I can begin that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment