Gallery

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Critique

Seems that the Robert Genn post a few days ago caused more than one person to stop and think. The discussion has been really lively. There have been those who find that in depth criticism by one's self, and others is very helpful, and there have been those who have not yet developed the thick skin needed to handle criticism. Much has to do with how criticism is phrased. Using questions instead of statements invites a better response. I don't like that blue area could be construed as an insult. Do you think that blue should be a bit lighter to contrast with the area next to it a bit less? is much easier to take. Jane Dunnewold has a really good set of guidelines for giving a constructive critique on her blog. Can't get the link up right now, but it is on the tutorials page there.

Someone else has brought up the idea that in order to self critique, you should know what it is that you want to accomplish with the piece. Formal elements of art and design should function to reinforce the message. I agree with this in theory, but many artists, in many media may not be so aware of the thing they are saying. A consistent work ethic and honesty in the doing will often bring out a significant theme that the artist may not have been aware of. This is where I am having trouble. Although I work in my medium just about every day, I do not create art every day, thus I sometimes have trouble with getting going when I do have time to create "for me" I have a silkscreen ready and waiting to get played with for months now - so long that I don't even want to use the stencil/resist I prepared for it. We will see, I should print a few images from it onto fabrics just because, don't want all that cutting time to be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment