Gallery

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Time, and Significant Ephemera

In my last post I talked about Time, a resource I have had very little of lately. With three weddings in three weekends, two of which demand Art gifts from me, I have been really busy. My sisters quilt just needs the label now, and the other "Significant Ephemera" piece is done too, just needs hanging wire. Unfortunately Blogger is being fussy about photos right now so I will have to put it in the gallery later. I have had such a good reception to these Significant Ephemera pieces that I am now taking commissions. The little bits attached to important events tend to land in boxes and drawers once the event is over, and then years later get discarded. I use these pieces of paper, announcements, invitations, ticket stubs, photos, and other Significant Ephemera provided by you for the piece, to create a wall size quilted artwork that is then canvas mounted for hanging or framing. A Gift of Significant Ephemera will preserve a moment in time for all time. Those ticket stubs might just be from a great show, but if they were from the night on which you proposed to your wife, how much more meaningful they are. If their significance is honored they become part of your personal symbolism.


I am a symbolist at heart. The storyteller in me loves to find the hidden meaning behind an image, the use of a color, motif or style. As an artist I am happiest when creating work that is full of hidden meanings, like plants that have medical uses, Animals that are symbols of certain character traits or abilities, colors that create a certain reaction, you get the idea. I love to look at artwork of all kinds that includes this kind of content. When we put a heart in a wedding quilt, or a Forget Me Not on a Memorial, then you have not only enriched the piece visually, but in terms of content also. As I have gone through my life, I have embraced different symbolic images as life has changed. Ultimately each of us finds their own meanings for the symbols in our lives, What are your symbols, and have you quilted them? -or can I Create a Significant Ephemera Piece for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment