Gallery

Friday, November 9, 2012

style?

On one of the lists I subscribe to there has been a discussion of style versus working in a series.   I enjoyed the comments but didn't think too hard about it.    Yesterday,  I spent a good part of the day at the Shoppe,  putting many small works up in the gallery that I am willing to sell off to those looking to buy gifts for the holiday.    I realized that many of them have not yet been labelled,  or even photographed.   ( of course my camera is out of batteries when I tried to do that this morning )   And then I need to get prices on them.    The functional works are fairly easy, and formulaic to get priced,  based on size, complexity and technique,    but the Art Quilts are harder.    Original design,  Cost of materials,   labor hours,  and several aesthetic and display considerations need to be taken account of.    And then there is style.    A work that is in someones characteristic style will often command a higher price,  and sell faster.   If selling work is important,  ones style should be developed.   

Advertisers call it branding.   I hope that as I photograph, label, and price these pieces I can see some kind of style that I can develop.  I have not seen many of these works together before, and I complete few pieces that are just for me lately,  so there is a longer period of time between them than I would like.     I really hope to pick up on something that is a unifying factor.     I'll let you know when the pictures are up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment