Gallery

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Style, series, and samples

This weekend, my DD asked me to help her make a skirt.  We went to the pattern books,  and I showed her how to really look there fro something appropriate,  bought two,  and one that I will have to help with alot for next years Halloween Costume,  and came home.    We got the pattern prepped and using some cotton I had got her first garment cut out.    I am really happy that this is happening,   but all my studio time got eaten up.     I have a list of things for the Shoppe a mile long, and the holiday gifts,  this year I need 18 of them.     

I am however still thinking about the series vs. style question,  and I think that working with DD has offered some insight.   She flatly refused to use any fabric or pattern that she did not love.   She wants to learn to sew because the things she wants to wear are not available off the rack.   Her colors are out of style,  her taste is generally out of price range,  and so,  she will get exactly what she wants this way, and she is willing to work at it.    No compromises.   

I have been simplifying,  sticking to written pattern,  and using trendy colors that I would not otherwise, in order to sell a fabric,  pattern,  or teach a workshop more easily.   Maybe that is the mistake since most of my output is class samples.    It may be a better model to run fewer workshops using projects and materials that I love,  and not skimping on the extras I seems to always want to add,  than to run tons of workshops that I am only partly excited about.    Those of you who teach,  what do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment