Gallery

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Quality, not Quantity

So I have been thinking alot lately about my artistic past. I cannot live there though. That crazy busy active part of my life really defined my sense of color and design. That will come with me no matter where this creative journey takes me. Having looked in detail at those old paintings of mine, some going as far back as High School, I can see the beginnings of my fascination with texture, threads, and low level relief ( can you say quilted surface? ) I can see evidence of the color pallette that I love emerge. What we have done, and what we have attached significance to will always be there in our hearts, memories, and sometimes even deeper in our unconscious.

I have also realized that even though I was so productive then, what now do I have? - a handful of paintings in a storage area. When you consider that I made 3-4 paintings a week in those days, what I have saved as worthy or important is a very tiny percent. Even then much hit the trash as soon as the paint was dry, or the critique at school was over.

Now, with a slower and more deliberate medium, I do very little that lacks significance. So, Quality is higher, the quantities are smaller, but actually, the output of significant work ends up being a bit higher now. And, even better perhaps, much of what I do is displayed and/or used. That beats being in a storage area any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment