Gallery

Friday, March 4, 2011

Plankton


No, not the Spongebob Character, that is the title of one of my recent Art Quilts. In the photo, it is not hanging flat, but the top is being pinched by the makeshift hanging system. The shaped bottom makes it look even less square, but rest assured that at least three sides are. The improvisational background includes silks, satins and assorted found fabrics. The Plankton themselves are hand embroidered and raw edge appliqued by machine, after the quilting had been done. Its about 36 x 48, and I tried out the new Deco Bob Thread. I did all the quilting on this piece, a sample of spiral couching and two bed size pillowcases before I had to change bobbins. It handled great and I have a new favorite thread. ( I have a Viking Rose - with a standard size bobbin by the way )
I am fairly happy with this piece, It feels like an idea I can explore alot more, the little hand worked plankton are addictive to work, and I already have a whole pile of new ones for the next piece. Last night I laid out a possible string pieced background for them that just might work for the Deep Spaces exhibit. Don't have the link handy for that, but the Prospectus is on the website of Jean Larkin Van Horn. It has some very specific size requirements that I need to remember to work within.
If you like the background of this quilt, come learn how to piece in this manner with the workshop I will be teaching at my shoppe, on March 17 & 31. There are more details on my store blog, www.villagefabricshoppe.blogspot.com It is so much fun, and allows you to use lots of seemingly random bits. I often make a large piece like this from leftovers of more traditional projects that are samples. It helps keep the scrap box from overflowing too badly and puts loved bits of fabrics into a project where I can actually look at them instead of having them buried in a big messy pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment