Gallery

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Inspiring Crocus

This past Sunday, the Spring Equinox, and I got really inspired by the single crocus that appeared in my yard. We didn't have any last year so I though they were all finished, or their bulbs eaten or something. The rich purple petals and the nearly fluorescent orange stamens were just so proud to be there. Then Mondays weather happened and it snowed in the morning and turned to freezing rain and then mostly melted by nightfall. Not too many living things are happy with those kind of quick changes. Yesterday wasn't too bad, but now I fear it may not survive the 6-10 inches of snow expected today, But I know it is there.

At first I was really angry at the weather, but that is just silly, I know that there is little I can do about that and getting worked up is just a waste of time. One thing I can do is create art about this. I had been waiting for the next flower in the herbal series to call to me, and now I think it will be crocus. This plant has been known as Saffron for ages, and certain varieties are still very valuable. (Just check the prices for genuine saffron for cooking and you will see what I mean ) It has been used as a colorant, flavoring and herbal cure, and in my life, seeing it means that Spring can't be that far away. I may have to buy some potted to draw from, but that just means that next year there will be more than one in my yard.

You can see the last herbal quilt, Lily of theValley on the gallery page of this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment