Gallery

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Stitched, the Movie

Well, I am gearing up for the First Dutchess Heritage Quilt Show. It happens Columbus Day Weekend, and I have a few pieces in the show and am vending with my shoppe. My hubby is usually my muscle and second vehicle for transport, but he will be away so that part of it could get really interesting. I am nearly done the quilt top for next years Block of the Month. But that is not what I really want to talk about.

Yesterday, I watched "Stitched, the Movie" It follows three quilters as they get ready to attend the Houston Quilt Show. What follows is my own opinion, your mileage may vary. The artists in question are some of my personal favorites, and honestly I wanted more about their process, Given that they are art quilters, I expected some discussion of the art of quilting. As they had several traditionalists speak their own opinions that if it wasn't hand quilted it isn't a quilt. Comments like, you couldn't wrap a new baby in that, and I wouldn't want that on top of me ( I thought that comment was really funny since it was referring to Randal Cooks large male nude and the speaker was female ) The featured quilters were not given a chance to present the other side of the Art/Traditional debate. I felt that if you were going to go there at all, both sides should be evenly represented. On the whole, I was entertained by it, but it did not enlighten me any farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment