Gallery

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Highly Prized


The theme for this month is Highly Prized. I posted some drawings and thoughts on this subject in my last post, but the theme has me thinking on what things I really prize in my life. One thing that has come up is the enjoyment I get from sharing the creative process with others, teaching. Especially with kids, as they have a fearless kind of energy and enthusiasm that the more grown up student often suppresses. As an example, I did a sewing project with my daughters girl scout troop. These worry worts are based on the ones in Socks Appeal. It took them the entire meeting to get them done, but they did it and as you can see in the photo, the resulting creations had lots of personality. The girls really had fun making them and their response was so good that I am now working out a possible after school program for upper elementary level kids. I think it could be a good thing for the neighborhood youth. The ability to make things is something that is being pushed aside in the wake of the technology based world we now live in. By the time this young generation reaches adulthood, the ability to actually make things will be highly prized, so I feel that it is my obligation to pass on what I know to them. My skills that I highly prize, may just get to be highly prized skills for them too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana!
    I love that you prize your ability to create and to teach. I enjoyed reading your post and looking at your drawings. Thanks for stopping by the Sketchbook Challenge blog and commenting about my recent post. I look forward to staying in touch with you through the year!
    Leslie
    http://leslietuckerjenison.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete